Thursday, June 17, 2010

Madame CJ Walker: Does she really deserve to be reconized during Black History Month?

First I would like to say, I'm happy that she was hte first self made Black woman...But I am also disgusted because she created generations of woman who plaster away there african idenity by straigtening hair. Had she not did what she did, I feel as though that Black women wouldn't be buring their scalps just to get straight hair. What's the point? Why are we the only race of women that spend BILLIONS of dollars on hair products, relaxers, straighters, and all that other junk. Why can't people be proud of what are African ancestors gave us? I know a lot of people are going to be upset by this question but it the complete truth...Look around, you don't see other races of women doinf what we do....It's appalling. Too long have African Americans have been blinded by false Eurocentric Beauty standrads such as long hair, straight hair and light skin.I'm glad that I learned quickly and got rid of my relaxer. I rock only braids, afros, and twists.



Madame CJ Walker: Does she really deserve to be reconized during Black History Month?

People can do with their hair what they want. It does not make them "less black." I kind of get annoyed when people try to act like they are "more black" because they wear a certain hairstyle. Not saying you, but i've heard it before. I'm like, if you're going to come like that, you had also better be wearing dashikis and traditional African attire 365 24/7 or else it's kind of hypocritical. Back to the question, there are just as many white women who bleach and perm their hair, too. Other races, as well. And, believe it or not, more and more black women are not getting perms because they realize the damage. They are pressing their hair which is their perogative.



So, should Madame be acknowledged? I personally don't see any great accomplishment in making a perm if that's all she did (I personally haven't heard of the lady) but that's my opinion. Maybe it was the struggle she encountered that allows her to be recognized.



Madame CJ Walker: Does she really deserve to be reconized during Black History Month?

Black people look pretty with straight hair and braids. Why can't you let them choose which they want.



So I think yes she does.



Madame CJ Walker: Does she really deserve to be reconized during Black History Month?

I partly agree with you , but she was the first woman millionaire right? I do prefer natural hair, but that is not the point. I like my natural hair. I like it that you can work with your own style and make it look fantastic, but it's okay if people want to straighten their hair too. It's the same as getting color contacts or making your straight hair curly. Many many blacks do not have eurocentric ideas of beauty by the way. There are many kinds of beauty. I agree that naturally curly hair is very beautiful. I love my twists and ringlets,curls,afros and locks are awesome! (No matter what race)



She was an important lady, no matter what she created. That is how I feel. She is known for a fantastic accomplishment after all.



Madame CJ Walker: Does she really deserve to be reconized during Black History Month?

She should definatley be recognised.



I understand your point, but women from all races try really hard to hide their natural features. Think about the following things:



Fake tan



Hair bleach



Hair extentions



Breast implants



Butt implants



Lip injections



False nails



False eye lashes



Permanent make-up/make-up



All these things are cosmetic, so what makes hair relaxer so different? The truth is that every woman whether white, black or asian is guilty of altering their natural beauty.



Everyone is obsessed with image, so I don't think its a black issues, its a women issue in general.



Madame CJ Walker: Does she really deserve to be reconized during Black History Month?

As the first female millionaire (not black female millionaire but millionaire PERIOD) I do believe that she deserves to be recognized, even though her invention happened t o be the dreaded relaxer, which has been ripping apart black self-esteem for decades and continues to do so today. I agree with you about the braids and twists and such. I have kinky twist in my head now and I'm going to switch to braids in a few months. I used to get relaxers but then I figured that I was only conforming to the "standard". I enjoy being myself.



Madame CJ Walker: Does she really deserve to be reconized during Black History Month?

yes

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
credit score