Sunday, June 20, 2010

What is the best way to transition from permed hair to natural African American hair?

I didn't want to cut all of my permed hair off yet- I want to wait about six months when I grow enough new growth. In the meanwhile, what styles really help? Weaves? Braids? What are your experiences? Lots of details please!



What is the best way to transition from permed hair to natural African American hair?

You can get your hair braided. It takes a while to get use to it without the chemicals in your hair but you will pull through. I am a perfect example of transtioning. You can check out my hair on http://www.myspace.com/aphillynative and or you and go to http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/default.... where you can get a lot of support and great tips on how to maintain weaves,braids etc. These sisters on this page gave me a lot of support. My hair has grown so much and it's healthy and strong.



What is the best way to transition from permed hair to natural African American hair?

Braids Braids and braids, and presses and ponytails really work or even a draw string pony tail, but u might want to get like 1-3in of ure permed hair cut off, that would promote faster growing and healthier hair if u happen to have split ends.



What is the best way to transition from permed hair to natural African American hair?

If you want your hair straight, and you got a perm, then I would just say to iron it or go get a straight perm. =)



What is the best way to transition from permed hair to natural African American hair?

braids can help you grow new growth much faster and you should wash your hair regularly, try singles than cornrows and change them every 2months otherwise your hair will be uneven,cornrows tend not to last longer



What is the best way to transition from permed hair to natural African American hair?

I have nothing against braids and weaves, but I will tell you to try your hardest to keep them at a minimum. Especially if you're letting close friends of people who have little to no experience with these styles. Tight braids can cause what is called Traction or Traumatic Alopecia, which is basically due to repeititive traction on the hair by pulling or twisting. I can also be caused by excessive application of chemicals and hot combs. The condition is usually reversed when trauma has stopped.



So be mindful of who ever does your hair (look at their hair or some of their clients also)



Try: Two strand twists with your own hair. After cleaning hair and while hair is still wet, apply styling foam (check ingredients for alcohol, alcohol is bad for hair)and take whatever size section you desire of hair and split apart and twist together. You can let air dry or sit under hooded dryer. Once dried untwist and you have very versatile style you can leave down or pin up with combs, clips, or tie with scarves.



Also grab some hair magz, for style tips that will fit you.



I am an african american woman (I am a licensed cosmetologist and currently work in the hair industry) and my hair is natural and I have been since 2000 and the way I grew my hair out was with braids (no extensions) with my own hair and frequent trims.



Trims are very important to remove dead hair and to eliminate some shedding, because your hair will shed when you are growing it out!



All I can say is find a professional who will have a consultation with you and find out where you are (with your hair) and where you want to go! They will be able to determine the condition of your hair and what your hair can and cannot take. Now don't get me wrong, everyone who owns or works in a salon is not at professional, so you have to be very careful and will become more and more choosey (if not already) about the people you allow to touch your hair.



Once you have found someone you can trust with your hair, stick with 'em!



But all in all, even if you cannot afford to go to the salon, just keep your hair clean (shampooed and conditioned weekly), moisturized, and healthy. And keep in mind that whatever you put in your body comes out! You want healthy and fast growing hair, the put healthy foods in your body, eliminate smoking, drinking and any other bad things that are not good for you.



Happy Hair!



What is the best way to transition from permed hair to natural African American hair?

Quickweaves...You can still have styles with the relaxed look but your hair will be growing out back to it's natural state. Try weaving styles where your hair is cornrowed or plaited, placed under a breathable stocking cap and weave applied to the stocking cap. I make several styles like this myself with different textures of weaves to change my style every week or two. While my hair is underneath the stocking cap, it is growing, is not disturbed by pulling and tugging of braid extensions and when I take my style out and comb out my plaits, my real hair has grown significantly within those few weeks. I condition my hair really well every time I wash it also. This keeps it healthy. The weave glue in this case does not harm the hair because the weave tracks are not being applied to the scalp but rather to the stocking cap. In a nutshell, the styles are like a wig, you can take them on and off with ease.



What is the best way to transition from permed hair to natural African American hair?

You can go with straw sets, wet sets, braids, cornrows, and weaves. And gradually cut out the relaxer. I would avoid press and curls, etc. they tend not to last as long and heat styling consistently will damage hair.



When I transitioned I did the big chop. But my cousin grew out hair while getting braids and weaves constantly for approx. 2 years before she got her starter locs. So you can go through this process as long as you want. The key is keeping you hair healthy.



There is a new yahoo Group called Mahogany Beauty, this group offers its members a hairstyle gallery of the hottest hairstyles Black women are wearing today as well has hair advice, discussions, and tips.



http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/mah...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
credit score