Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

I'm African American and I have fairly thick hair. I was wondering how I could take care of it, like how can I prevent split ends and other forms of breakage. I also have a perm in my hair that I get re touched every month. Please don't say, "stop getting perms" because I can not just stop getting perms. My hair will definitely break off if discontinue perms. I would like to know how often I should shampoo and condition my hair, how often to grease my hair and scalp, and how often I should flat iron my hair. I would also like to know if Motions Hair and Scalp daily moisturizing hairdressing AND Pink Oil Mosturizer Hair Lotion is good for my hair. Thank You



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

First of all, all those hair lotions will weigh your hair down. It won't be light and bouncy. Try a silicon based hair serum like biosilk. Use it before you you flat iron. You can wash your hair like once week and make sure you condition it well, sit with in your hair with a cap on it for a little while. Stop touching up every month, the longest you can go without a relaxer, the better. All that relaxing will over process your hair and it will fall out. Six weeks is a good time for relaxers and end trimming. This will maintain hair growth. Try to to flat iron it right after you wash and dry, this will set it for the week so you can just wrap it every night and all you will have do is comb it down every morning. Any more questions, let me know. I'm a genius when comes to self hair mainteance!



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

i didnt pick this as the best answer, although it was good



BRI has the best answer Report It



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

Mizani or Kera Care are both good brands for African American hair.Also,you should get a trim about every 6 weeks,or at least once every one or two months.As for washing hair,you should only wash African American hair once or two times a week depending on your hair texture.For the grease part,I can't help you out with that because I don't use that on my hair :[.



Personally,I flat iron my hair only once or twice a week.Too much heat can break off your hair.



You shouldn't perm your hair every once a month.I perm my hair about every 3 or 4 months.So um...maybe out every 2-5 months would be better.



I've never tried Pink,btw though.I hoped I helped for a few of your questions.



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

For your hair you should use Kera Care products. You can use Motions shampoo %26amp; conditioner too, but I'd recommend Kera Care. Kera Care Shampoo - you want the moisturizing shampoo. For teh Kera Care Conditioner - you want the Humecto Creme Conditioner [It's a DEEP CONDITIONER]. You ALWAYS want to DEEP CONDITION your hair. You do not have a white persons hair texture so you don't need to wash your hair ALL THE TIME. Just wash your hair like twice a month. Yeah you might be like "Ewww that's so dirty". African Americans DO NOT NEED to wash their hair VERY OFTEN. Just drying out your hair that way. White people take moisture out their hair. Black people NEED the moisture in our hair. If your hair is breaking off whether you use perms or not just means your hair is REALLY damaged and you need to just take proper care of your hair. So whether you stopped using perms your hair shouldn't be breaking off. As for Split ends ONLY NEED to get a trim every 6 months. Not as often as the beauty salons be trimming your hair. Hair Grease - just get the ULTRA SHEEN hair grease. only oil your scalp like every other week. If you find that your hair is sucking up the hair grease fast then just apply more often. Just your scalp NOT YOUR HAIR. Grease on the hair blocks the hair shaft. Don't want to weigh your hair down. When you go to sleep wrap your hair and make sure you tie it up with a SILK SCARF. NO COTTON! Again you'll just strip your hair of it's moisture if you use a cotton Scarf. As for the Pink Oil Moisture Hair lotion, yeah is good for just YOUR HAIR, but in general you don't want to get into the habit of mixing too many chemicals [meaning using different hair products for different needs for your hair]. Doing that just results in hair breakage and damage. So then you'll just be thinking to yourself "this crap doesn't work". YEAH cuz you'd be mixing too many hair chemicals. Well I hope I helped you. ;0)



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

My hair is something bewteen wavy and curly, and I can;t stand it.



The best option to treat split ents is to cut them, once in 6 - 8 weeks or so.



and try to decrease the amount of times you iron your hair, it just burns it. and don't use a hair dryer - when I stopped using the hair dryer my hair got 100000 times better than it was before, and it became split in much longer time.



Don't wash it every day, since your skin produces oil that moistures the hair naturally. so when you have curly hair, it takes more time foe the oil to get to the ends of the hair. so wash it like once in 2 or 3 days.



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

i agree with katrina wash ur hair once a week and I use pink moisturizer and set under the dryer for about 20 minutes and yes stop getting touch ups cuz u will find ur hair on the pillow in the morning.. if u can set ur hair instead of putting the heat on it. that will help also.. hope I helped



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

If you are on a tight budget, her is what i suppose you do: first of all do not perm your hair every month, try to extend it as much as possible by using a silk wrap to wrap your hair before going to bed(Use it everyday in order to keep your style), secondly, wash your hair at least once a week at a salon, but don't go past 2 weeks. Always get a deep conditioner that is designed for dry hair every time you wash your hair. Use rollers and sit under the dryer, instead of blow drying. Then when you get out of the dryer, use a live in conditioner like silicon Mix. This product softens our hair type and makes it smell good as well. Now if you want your hair straight, you can use a blow dryer, set it on medium heat. Use a soft brush to. For shine, i use either biosilk or garnier fructis sleek and shine anti frizz serum. the are both great. Also, don't do weaves,braids, flat iron( at least once a week to fix your style, but if you can avoid it it will be great) and glue. the damage your hair. Also avoid too much brushing. If you use this routine your hair will grow longer and stronger.



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

Well, you shouldn't be straightening it with a flat iron if you're getting perms. That just adds extra damage, plus, it's senseless, but maybe using hand lotion or just washing it every other day to just 2 times a week, should really help it. Also; like the person before me said, try using lighter stuff in it to make it light, bouncy, and best of all, manageable.



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

well first of all you need to get a good hairdresser who would answer all your question and who know your hair type.!



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

You can prevent split ends buy getting your ends trimmed at a Hair Salon every 6 weeks. Instead of perming your hair every month (which isn't good) flat iron/ hot comb your roots really well and wrap it in a scarf every night. You should put a serum in your hair after you wash and blow dry it. I use Fantasia brand Serum from Sally's Beauty. It makes my hair smooth, silky, and so soft to touch. It's good to wash your hair one a week with a good shampoo for your type of hair, look at Pantene Products. If you use serum you shouldn't have to grease your scalp, in my opinion it's better then grease. I stay away from Motion and Pink Lotion they both make my hair feel goo "e". I do occasionally use Johnson's blue hair grease to put down the fly aways. GOOD LUCK



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

you have to use grease get a hot oil treatment



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

1. Relax your hair every 6 to 10 weeks depending on your hair's needs. Do not relax your hair every time new growth appears, since relaxing too often causes damage to the hair. For one week following your relaxer, use a reconstructor instead of your regular conditioner when you wash your hair. Aphogee makes an excellent reconstructor and shampoo. After a week return to your regular shampoo and conditioner.



2. Wash and condition your hair every 4 to 5 days and at the most once a week. Try to use shampoo and conditioner designed for dry hair. Ultra Black Hair and Tresseme for damaged hair are excellent conditioners. Using a moisturizing deep conditioner once per week is ideal. Rarely if ever use a towel or a blow dryer to dry your hair. Instead, to prevent damage, air dry the hair, separating it with your fingers as it dries. Or you can allow it to dry undisturbed then comb with a large tooth comb (this will keep the volume down).



3. It is best to avoid using heat to dry your hair, however, if you prefer heat, then avoid hand held dryers. Use a hood dryer instead. With repeated usage, all hair dryers will damage and dry-out your hair, but the hood type will not damage it as quickly. The hair should be completely dry before you use a curling or flat iron on it.



4. When using a curling iron to style your hair, do not allow the barrel cover to clamp down on your hair. Hold the barrel cover slightly open and allow the hair to move over the curling iron barrel without the tugging and pulling caused by pressure from the barrel cover. Whenever the barrel cover clamps down on your hair it creates a weak point at which breakage is inevitable.



5. A regular metal barreled Curling iron works well and is easy to find. You can also invest in heat appliances utilising ceramic, tourmaline, ionic technology having temperature controls. Relaxed hair can be easily styled at 300 degrees or less. Try to use heat protective products (serums or creams, not oils) prior to any and all heat styling. Ultra Black Hair lotion creme and Chi Silk Infusion are good product for this.



6. Never use hair oil on relaxed hair. Hair oil was designed for natural hair and the usage of hair oil on relaxed hair is the major reason African American hair breaks off at such an alarming rate. If your hair is well conditioned you won't need any oil at all. If you do prefer some oil, choose a lightweight oil (such as jojoba, coconut, almond, or olive oil) rub a small amount in the palms and spread lightly through the hair, focusing on the ends of the hair. Keep in mind excessive oil will make your hair stiff and because it cannot move naturally it will break off (especially if you do not wash it frequently). If you choose to use oil, it is best to wash it off within a few days.



7. Use as little heat as possible with your hair as heat can only do more damage. Its ok to style your hair with a curling iron, however a rollerset is the best method with either a large or small curler depending on the size you want. If you use curlers at night be sure to tie them down to keep them from moving as you sleep. If the curlers are allowed to move as you sleep, it will weaken the roots and the hair will fall out from the roots.



8. Alternate between cold and heated styling. If you use a curling iron one day, set your hair with rollers the next day. This will help to minimize heat damage.



9. Although water based moisturizers are best for relaxed hair, never apply them close to the roots. If you have longer hair, leave about 4 to 6 inches of clean hair between your roots and the moisturizer. For shorter hair apply it at the ends. This will prevent the hair from becoming tangled at the roots. Ultra Black Hair Lotion Creme is an excellent moisturizer. You can also try Dudley's PCA Moisture Retainer or ORS Carrot Oil creme to see if it works for your hair.



10. Drink plenty of water daily and check your hair's moisture level every day. To test your hair's moisture level, follow these simple steps:



1. First, Gently hold some of your hair in your hand. If your hair is cool to the touch and feels silky, it is clean, well conditioned and you are drinking adequate amounts of water. If your hair is warm to the touch, oily or dry like paper it is in need of cleaning, conditioning and you should increase your water intake.



2. Second, shake your head gently. If your hair bounces and moves easily it is clean, well conditioned and you are drinking enough water. If your hair does not move at all, the moisture level is very low. It is time to wash and condition your hair and increase your water intake.



3. Third, comb your hair gently. If there is no hair on the comb or on your clothing the moisture level is good. If there is hair on the comb or on your clothing, your hair's moisture level is very low. Wash and condition your hair as soon as you get the chance and increase your water intake. You might also want to avoid using heated styling instruments for a few days.



11. It is important to condition your hair often, however, when it is close to the time for you to get a touch up of your relaxer, the roots or your hair will be very dense and it will be difficult to properly rinse the conditioner out at the roots. Because hair will break off if conditioner is not properly rinsed away, you can do the following when your roots are very dense. Place 50% conditioner and 50% very hot water in a container and stir it until it becomes the consistency of shampoo. Once the mixture cools use it as you normally would. It will easily rinse from your roots. Do not use the diluted conditioner more than once or twice as it will not properly condition your hair. Get your touch up as soon as you get the chance and once your roots are straightened, return to using the conditioner full strength.



12. Applying a moisturizing conditioner to dry hair for 30 minutes to an hour and following with a warm/cool water rinse can help maintain the hair's moisture balance and make it more pliable. Remember, apply conditioner to the scalp infrequently as it can cause your hair to shed more easily. Conditioning products should only be applied to the length the majority of the time.



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

honey, you are DAMAGING your hair. what's the point of perming your hair when you are going to straighten it?



i AM going to say STOP GETTING PERMS. your hair just might fall out with all the chemicals in it and all the damage



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

Why would u get a perm for naturally curly hair?? Your hair will most definately not break if u stop getting them and the solution or chemicals are killing the shaft! Make sure to use a moisturising shampoo and conditioner. When styling try to use a Thermal heating styling aid to protect your fried hair..When not straightening it..try to use a leave in lite styling gel to encourage the natural curl and go to a good salon that can help you learn what is best for your hair type..NOT one that will want to make money off of u. Before you get any more breakage which is your hair's way of screaming..please..visit a great stylist



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

First of all I will not tell you to discontinue perm that's up to you Because what I'm about to tell you, which is the truth might hurt you more. Anyway, Ebony hair should not be perm. Perm causes more problems and more maintenance! Which leads up to a bald head ask Tyra Banks no joke.. Most African American Women add the perm into the hair which causes the hair to lose it's natural strength. That's right, it's like frying an egg, the more cooked an egg is, is the more the enzymes are killed. That's what perm does to Ebony hair. So the answer to you're question is nothing, there is nothing to maintain because you're hair will eventually become nothing. But I can tell you how to maintain a beautiful head of natural Ebony hair. Simple.. Shampoo hair, conditioned then wash out hair free of all condition then while still wet add organic carrot oil, you can find this product at Walmart or any beauty supply store... this would caused the hair to get really soft instantly, detangled the hair. Brush into any style or pressed out for straightened look add wrap to hair to keep fresh look, There you go my definition of real natural, nourished beautiful straight hair without the harshed fryness of perms. So would I tell you to discontinue perm NO! I would tell you to cut off the perm hair or let hair grow out naturally then follow the directions above if you wanted to know how to maintain natural hair.



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

Pink oil moisturizer is good, I actually use the oil sheen spray myself, I see nothing wrong with it, for one, it keeps your hair moisturized, and moisturized hair is what us African American women need, otherwise your hair won't be as healthy. Secondly about the perm. Yes you are right about your hair breaking off if you stop the perms bc I was talking to my mother the other day and she told me this when I told her I was thinking about going natural. So don't stop your perms bc your new growth hair is a lot stronger than your permed hair and if you were to let it grow out for too long, your hair will break off to where you hardly have any left. You should shampoo and condition your hair at least once per week, bc dirty hair is unhealthy hair, this will reduce any breakage and shedding of your hair, as well as keeping it moistured.You grease your hair after each time you wash it, or if you have very dry hair like I do, and your scalp absorbs the grease, then you grease it whenever you see that it's getting dry. This is important bc then your scalp will be used to having oil in it so it won't absorb as much of it the more you do it. I recommend a product called Dr. Miracle "Hot Gro". It's something my mom introduced me to. It's a grease that you apply to your scalp that prevents breakage and leaves shine to the hair, it also leaves a tingling sensation after applying it to ensure that it is working. He has other products as well, serums, creams..ect.



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

cut out that perm girl and go to press and curls. DLows shampoo system is great!



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

if you mess with your hair too much its just gong to fall out and then you WONT have thick hair, i never understand why girls felt to need to get it permed every month, thats too much work to the hair. i cut my ends like at least every other month or 3 months.



this maybe sound corny but alot of women just fold their hair and buy a wig, wigs are more professionally made nowaways, they look real!!



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

idk if my girlfriend is black or half black



but her hair is straighter and shinier than mine



so she probably has permed hair too. anyway we both spent the night on a pretty much unsupervised school trip at a hotel (with a buncha other students of course)



from what i know she: sleeps with her hair pulled into a low ponytail



used some creamy stuff called "bed head" in the morning



and she blow dried her hair in the morning too it and then pulled it back into a ponytail



i'm guessing thats her everyday routine...



oh and i do recall her telling one of her friends something about thick products being terrible for her hair



i hope this helped, i may not know much, but i did know a little!



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

perm like best Africa.



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

For thick hair, you DO in fact need to keep a light oil moisurizer in it. Optimum Oil Therapy 3-in-1 Creme Oil Moisturizer is fantastic. I also have thick hair that I get relaxed every 8 weeks. The best thing you can do for your hair is to cut your ends trimmed every 4 weeks. When you get your hair relaxed, see a professional. Do not do it yourself and do not allow your friends or cousins to do it (been there, done that). You will definitely see results if you stick with the same stylist and allow you to be her project. Stylists love a challenge.



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

You can not prevent split ends first of all, they are just a part of hair growing, if it doesn't look nice to you then get them clipped, otherwise let them be, no getting them clipped will not grow your hair as the myth goes, split ends are at the ends of your hair, which is just dead hair. You must keep moisture in your hair and you do need to wash it at least once a week, yes, water helps your hair to grow and is part of being healthy, just like your body needs water, when you drink water it doesn't dry you out, it adds hydrants, so after washing, deep condition your hair, by using a conditioner, watch that the ingredients in your conditioner doesnt' contain any type of alcohol, which dries out anything, check your shampoo too. I use AJs moisture essence conditioner on all my clients and it works wonders for dry hair as well as keeping it conditioned, go to ajhairproducts.net for the moisture essence conditioner, I swear by it and my clients. Good shampoo is Keracare, these products are mostly used by pros, but they are available for you, AJs is only available online. Ok put the conditioner on and put a plastic cap on and sit under the dryer for about 10min, 15 at the most, rinse and style as usual. You can flat iron your hair once a day, if you wash your hair weekly, but you shouldn't have to flatten it that much if you have a "relaxer", white people get "perms" but anyways, wrap your hair at night and wear a scarf, then in the morning when you comb it out, you may not need to flatten it, becuz having a relaxer a lot of heat should not be applied to your hair often. To moisturize your hair daily, pink oil is good, but don't use it so that your hair "looks" oily. Daily you can also use AJs gloss, which is online also, it gives your hair the shine and hydration needed w/out the oil, I know I may sound like a rep for them, but I've tried others and these two products of theres I swear by. So if you do these things weekly you should have no problems, otherwise you can try using whatever you have and just monitor your hair until you find what works for you. Hope this helps, no I know it will help.



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

you don't have to stop getting your perms.I get mine retouched every six week (and my hair is STILL wildly thick,but manageable). But anyway, make sure you shampoo (from what I heard) at least every two weeks.And whenever you get a relaxer,also get what some shops call a "treatment". At least that's what I do,and I have extremely long hair. Just make sure you're not pressing your hair everyday.I'm not sure about the conditioning part.Good luck,I wish I could be more of a help



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

I perm my hair every 4 to 6 weeks. African American females dont have to wash their hair daily. This will only dry your scalp out. You must use hair conditioners, and moisturizers. I recommend that you use Pink Oil as you are currently doing and wrap your hair at night. As far as straightening irons, once you have permed your hair, you shouldnt use a straightening iron. Simply use wrap lotion / set and sit under a dryer, or tie it down with a hair net and let it hair dry . Once your hair is dry , use hair moisturizer thoroughly thru the scalp, and make sure you wrap it before going to bed. Motions Hair Products are also great products. I use the hair foam to wrap my hair , and I also use the shampoo / conditioner. I wouldnt advise you to discontinue the use of hair relaxers / perms. I would say continue using perms, wrap your hair every night before going to bed and keep it moisturized. You should wash your hair every week. No need to wash every day , causes major drying of the scalp. Grease you hair every 3-4 weeks, or after perm treatments. Wait 1 week after you have permed your hair before using flat irons. Better results and no breakage. Let the relaxer set before using any type of irons.



Hope this helps!



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

Well for washing your hair you should only do once a week because anymore could seriously damage your hair and the best shampoos and conditioners are olive oil which helps your hair grow you should press your hair once or twice a week but only when you really need it. You should grease your hair and scalp just about every day or two just so it won't get dry ,motions and pink oil should be discontinued while you are using the olive oil even though they are okay in small amounts with the olive oil, and you could use some of Carol's daughter hair care products. For the perms you shouldn't stop but you really should do it less because it can cause burns and for your hair to break off as well only once every 4 months or so is alright but only when you need it and the flat iron won't help very much. And you should let go gradually with the perm.



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

I personally think going to the salon on a regular bases is the best way to have healthy hair (I go once a week) dont relax your hair yourself, get it done professionally, try to stay away for flat ironing yourself, if you brush your hair at night and sleep in a silk scarf this will help manage your hair, oil is so important for our hair - Pink oil is good, I prefer Moister Max (in a White and blue bottle), getting your ends clipped is also very important; in a nut shell find a beautician that is about hair care and he/she will guide you. Good Luck Girlfriend :)



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

spray a little water on it don't mess around with it until dry , then it should look good all day



I have African American permed hair. How do I take care of it.?

cut off all ur hair and wear a hat

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
credit score