Saturday, November 28, 2009

What type of products would you suggest for african american hair?

So i have a relaxer and a had my hair dyed a very dark brown (not at the same time) and its really thick. Its pretty long too. I have noticed that its shedding alot more than it used to and im getting split ends easier than i used to. what type of things would you suggest to get my hair really healthy? this can include products, vitamins, overall diet, or just some really good words of advice.



What type of products would you suggest for african american hair?

Here, first I want to show you a link of my hair. It was past bra strap length, I cut it Jan 07, and it's already grown back to my bra strap. But I am very WARY of taking advice about hair when I can't see the hair of the person so:



http://fiu.facebook.com/album.php?aid=20...



Here you go, that's all mine.



Now:



You should roller set your hair every week. Roller setting your hair distributes low heat over a long time when underneath a dryer. I cannot stress the importance of roller setting to have and keep healthy hair.



Shampoo with a protein shampoo (I use Redken Extreme shampoo) because relaxing robs hair of protein.



Then deep condition (I order Mizani's Hydrafuse online bc they don't sell it to the public, just to the salons AND I mix it with KeraCare Humecto) for about 5-15 minutes UNDER THE DRYER. This is very important, the heat opens up your cuticles. Wash it out with cool water to close it. Relaxing dries out your hair.



Your hair needs a healthy balance of protein and moisture.



After that use a leave-in conditioner. I use KeraCare Leave-In, it is very concentrated so you don't have to use much and it is very, very good at protecting your hair against heat and other damaging factors including sun, wind, etc. I also use Nexxus' leave in conditioner called Luxxtress. It replenishes moisture AND has a bit of protein in it.



I used to use Design Essentials setting lotion, it is incredible for roller sets for me. So I have two leave in conditioners and a setting lotion in my freshly moisturized (deep conditioner, leave in conditioner) and strengthened (with the protein shampoo and part Luxxtress) hair. My hair is protected and happy.



I don't use setting or foaming lotions anymore though. I just use the two leave in conditioners and a serum.



You don't have to use only ONE brand's products. As you can see, I have mixed it up till I found the perfect matches for my hair.



When I take it out my curls are shiny and bouncy and full. I go to the salon bc I can't roller set my own hair but I can roller set other people's lol. You wouldn't believe the looks my hair gets. People always ask me if it's my own and I proudly say yes. After you take out your roller set, wrap your hair. Or you can get the roots blown out.



Wrap your hair at night with a silk scarf, it's so important to keeping your hair moisturized. Use a silk/satin pillowcase just in case your wrap falls out.



I know that money doesn't grow on trees but I promise if you invest your money on high-quality hair products, your hair will thank you.



You might also need a trim or cut because may have split ends. ONLY trim if you have split ends, other than that you have no reason to trim your hair every time you go get a relaxer or roller set your hair.



Also, you can start trying taking supplements. I used to use GNC's Ultranourishair, Biotin, and MSM. All these things are good for your hair. HOWEVER, if after 3 months you don't see improvement (and I mean look at your roots) then stop taking them. Some people don't metabolize synthetic vitamins as well as others, that's why you see some people swear by them and some don't. They help maximize your own hair growth POTENTIAL along with a good diet. They worked for me but I became too lazy.



I think this covers it all but you can always ask for more, I love to help people with relaxed hair! A lot of people hate on us and say we should go natural but there is such thing as healthy relaxed hair that you can grow long and thick as I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
credit score